Monday, March 31, 2014

6 Surprising Dominican Delicacies


Every culture seems to have its own unique set of dishes, dishes that for some people, when eaten make them feel at home. You know what I'm talkin' about. As for me, I grew up under a roof with parents from two different cultures (American and Dominican), so my "homey meals" range from not just your typical american foods, like hot-dogs and hamburgers but also some very unique dominican dishes, that I can thank my Nana and Mom for exposing me to!

So without further a do, here are a few of my most treasured Dominican dishes...

First off we have probably my favorite meal of all time, Mangu. Funny name I know, but what is it exactly? Mangu is boiled plantains that are mashed up and topped with "skivechi"(fried onions with lemon juice) and is usually complimented with a fried egg, fried cheese, or "salchichon", which is basically dominican style summer sausage. It is typically a breakfast meal, although I personally enjoy having it for any meal of the day.







This next dish is probably one of the more far-fetched dominican delicacies, it's called, Morir Sonando. This is a delightful little beverage, that is a mixture of milk and orange juice. Wait….MILK and ORANGE JUICE? Yes, that's right. To any non-Dominican this might seem like a highly unappealing concoction, and you might think to yourself "Ew, gross!" But, I encourage you to try it out sometime. Just throw some ice in there and you'll see, scratch that….taste, that it is indeed, a truly wonderful and refreshing drink that cannot be compared





Next we have a tasty little side dish given the name, Tostones, also known as twice-fried plantains. It's no secret we Dominicans love our plantains but unlike mangu, which is boiled then mashed, tostones are made from unripe plantains that are fried, mashed, then fried once more and then sprinkled with salt for good measure. These tasty morsels are the perfect side to complete any chicken, fish, or even a pork dish. You won't meet a single Dominican who doesn't love these little fried plantains, try them for yourself sometime and you'll understand why!






It would be a crime if I didn't tell you all about this next dish, which just about sums up Dominican culture in one big meaty pot, it's called Sancocho. Sancocho is a meaty stew, that is actually found in many other latin cuisines, such as Columbia, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Brazil, etc, but none of these variations can top the Dominican version! The Dominican style sancocho, which is the deluxe version, is also known as the seven meat stew. It is made with yes, seven meats, mixed with root vegetables and plantains to make a very hearty and of course, very rich in flavor stew. This meal is typically only served for important events or big family get-togethers, due to its very lengthy preparation time.






Now here's a dish I bet most people don't even think about eating, but to Dominicans is considered a treat. This is called Con-Con. Con-Con is actually the burned rice at the bottom of the rice pot that contains most of the oil and consequently the most flavor. It might seem odd or even silly, but in my big family everyone wants the "burned rice" and since there is only about one layer of it, it's always a big win to get some on your plate!






Now at last, but certainly not least, I will tell you about one of the dishes that hits home for me every time. It is probably the most typical Dominican meal eaten for lunch or dinner, that I myself probably ate at least once or even twice a day up until I left for college. This meal is called Arroz Con Habichuela y Carne. Arroz is rice which is usually white, habichuela is the beans usually pinto or black and cooked with a generous amount of cilantro, and carne, which is meat, and can range from my Nana's practically famous lemon chicken to my moms perfectly seasoned pork, and any other meat in between. Though this might not seem like a solely Dominican dish, but it is definitely a staple when it comes to meals, one that no Dominican diet would be complete without.






So there you have it, just a couple of my personal favorite Dominican dishes. I hope you get a chance to try some of these delectable treats out for yourself, and hopefully enjoy them as much as I do!

To learn how to make some of these delightful Dominican delicacies and more, here is a link to "The Latin Kitchen" with some full recipes. Enjoy!

http://www.thelatinkitchen.com/dominican-republic-food-recipes




2 comments:

  1. Maybe I should have read this after a meal myself....hunger! All these dishes seem interesting and delicious! Perhaps consider linking us to some recipes for these dishes for us to try out? I personally wish to try out a few of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job showing the food side of the Dominican culture. The pictures make the food look very appetizing. Good work!

    ReplyDelete